This week I have found a list of new phrases and words that I think will be helpful for my trip to Tanzania. I know I won’t have all of these memorized for before I go, but I am building a little booklet to bring with me where I will have helpful words and phrases handy to reference if needed.

I need your help : Ninaomba msaada

I’m lost : Nimepotea

Can I use your phone? : Ninaomba kutumia simu yako?

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Help : Msaada

Leave me alone : Uniache

I need a doctor : Ninahitaji daktari

Take me to ______ please : Nipeleke _______ tafadhali

A table for one person/two people please : Meza kwa mtu moja/watu wawili, tafadhali

It was delicious! : Chakula ni kitamu

Can I look at the menu please? : Ninaweza Kuangalia menu tafadhali?

What time is it? : Saa ngapi?

Morning : Ashubuhi

Afternoon : Mchana

Evening : Jioni

Night: Usiku

How do I get to  ______? : Je, ninakwenda?

Embassy : Ubalozi

the airport : Uwanjawa ndegi

As I do more preparation for my trip, I find that I keep thinking about other words or phrases that I will need to know to make communication easier in Tanzania.  I know many people speak some English over there, but I also believe that when traveling to a new country it is important to try and speak in the local language as much as possible.  As a part of this inquiry I plan to put together a booklet that I can keep with me on my travels to help me communicate in Swahili a little better as I know I won’t be able to know all the phrases by heart.

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I am also trying to learn more about proper enunciation when speaking Swahili but I am finding it difficult to find resources to help me with that.  I have learned how to pronounce each letter in the alphabet, but haven’t found more information on rules around word enunciation so I will continue to investigate this in the upcoming weeks.