In this weeks tech class we started with a recap about the visit to George Jay elementary to learn more about inquiry learning in primary grades.  Hearing my peers’ takeaways from that experience, and discussing inquiry a little further, just once again reminded me how important it is incorporate this approach into the classroom and it is definitely something I want to learn more about and bring it into my practice.

We then talked about multimedia learning and the pros and cons of using different medias as teaching platforms.  The ones we specifically talked about were TeacherTube, YouTube, and Khan Academy.  I have never heard of TeacherTube before, but I would be interested in looking into it to see whether I think it would be something I would use in the class one day.  For YouTube, I do think there are times that it can be helpful as a learning tool, but I would be very cautious to use it in the classroom.  I think so many kids these days love to watch YouTube and are very versed at how to use it.  I feel like it could quickly become a distraction for students as it is so easy to veer away from the intended activity to another video of interest for the student.   When I have worked as an EA in different classrooms where the teacher has allowed children to use YouTube, I have found that it causes more problems and behaviors than it is helpful.  I have also seen it used as a time filler where students aren’t actually watching videos for educational purposes, and I think it is totally unnecessary.  If I was to use YouTube in my future classroom it would be for a specific purpose that would be guided by me, and only once and a while.  A tool that I see myself using in the classroom if I am teaching intermediate or middle school would be Khan Academy.  I think it is a great resource, though it would really only be beneficial for older students.  But for anyone that needs a little more explanation about a particular topic, I think Khan Academy can be helpful.  These videos do tend to teach to once style of learning however, so if the format of the videos and explanations don’t fit a students learning style then it may not be as effective.