doug-linstedt-jEEYZsaxbH4-unsplash-scaled.jpg

Well, just as I had settled on preparing for a half marathon as my free inquiry topic, I have decided to change topics and go in an entirely different direction.  What prompted this change?  Let me fill you in: I am extremely lucky to have the opportunity this spring to travel to Tanzania to do my three week practicum and teach at a school in Dar es Salaam.  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, and a big bucket list item! As the time is drawing nearer to when I will be leaving, I am in preparation mode trying to get myself organized.  One thing I hadn’t really put much thought into yet, was learning some of the local language: Swahili.  Though I will be teaching in English, and have been told that the students should be able to speak enough English for us to understand each other, language will be a barrier at times.  I would like to learn even a few helpful words and phrases that might come in handy.  And so, my new inquiry project will be to learn some Swahili!  I will be coming up with a list of words and phrases that I think will be most helpful to be able to speak, and it will be my goal to know them before I fly to Dar es Salaam on April 16.  I found an app called “hello! jambo” which I will use as a tool to learn some words, and will be also looking up additional resources that will help me learn.

I would also like to learn a little bit about the area in Tanzania that I will be staying so I have a little context when I get there.  I am very excited about my upcoming trip, and am happy to be able to learn some of the language before getting there!

Here is a link to a few interesting fun facts about the Swahili language!

11 Fascinating Facts About the Swahili Language